Tortillas have been a staple in my diet for over 25 years. At first it was a simple obsession, but overtime, and with some great suggestions, I’ve learned a variety of ways to use tortillas to make some great meals.
1. Wrap your tortilla around a couple of spoonfuls of chili and a some cheese, microwave for a minute or so and you have an instant meal. Three of these usually satisfies my intense after work/school cravings. This was my initial foray beyond tacos and burritos.
2. Wrap the tortilla around refried beans, some cheese, and a bit of taco sauce. Very similar to #1, and just as easy.
3. Grated cheese on a tortilla, baked or broiled in a toaster oven, makes a great (pun intended) quesadilla snack.
4. If you have a gas stove, you can quickly melt grated cheese on an open tortilla. Just lay the tortilla on the burner until the cheese melts and the tortilla puffs up. This was introduced to me by my Hispanic housemate. Of course you can also do this in a frying pan.
5. Quite by accident, one day I had no beans or chili, but I did have spaghetti sauce. I spread the sauce on a tortilla, grated some cheese, and heated it in the toaster oven. Since then, I’ve discovered that fresh onions, sun-dried tomatoes, olives, garlic, basil, pepperoni, or any other pizza topping make a great, quick pizza!
6. For a little while, I lacked a toaster oven, and it seemed wasteful to heat up the oven for three tortillas, so I just put some cheese in rolled up tortillas and throw them in the microwave for a minute or so. Hot, gooey, and cheesy – yum!
7. Craving my tortilla pizza, but lacking spaghetti sauce, I used re-fried beans. Spread the beans on the tortilla and grate some cheese over the top. You can add onions, olives, garlic, or anything else that sounds good. Now, you have Mexican pizza.
8. At this point, you may have figured out that almost anything goes. Although I pretty much exclusively ate beans, chili, cheese, and tortillas for almost 10 years before meeting my wife, the experimentation continued. Black beans, kidney beans, chili, cheese, sauce, pizza toppings, rice, cheddar, Monterey, string cheese, almost anything goes.
9. But last night, craving something quick and sweet, I came up with my best invention yet. I spread some butter on open tortillas, sprinkled some sugar and cinnamon on them, then popped them in the toaster oven. Oh. Man. Awesome.
10. Oh yeah, you can always roll up scrambled eggs, cheese, and anything else you think might taste good – for breakfast, or on the road – all of these work great!
Do you have other ways of using tortillas that are quick, unhealthy, and satisfying?